Description: A cute short ruffle skirt for girls of various ages. It is knitted in rounds using circular needle. The skirt is simply knitted in stockinette stitch and few rows of garter stitch at the bottom edge. The main body of the skirt is made out of a sport weight yarn (I used Vanna’s Glamour from Lion Brand) and the ruffles are made out of Sashay yarn by Red Heart. The ruffles are attached to the skirt at different levels using simple crochet technique. You don’t have to have crochet experience to do this.
Skills Level: Easy
Gauge: 6 sts/ 8 rows/inch on US size 6 (4mm) circular needle
Finished measurement: This skirt in the picture made for a tall six years old girl. From top to bottom edge of the ruffle = 13 inches. You can customize the length and waist size to fit your need.
Knitting stitches used in this pattern:
knit, purl, and k1p1 into the same stitch.
Knitting Abbreviations and Terms
CO = cast on
K = knit
P = purl
st(s) = stitch(es)
rnd(s) = round(s)
rep = repeat
k1p1 in the same st = increase one stitch by knit a stitch without sliding it off the left needle, bring yarn to the front and purl the same st again. Slip these two stitches of the needle at the same time.
Stockinette st = knit on right side, purl on the wrong side
garter st = knit all rows on straight needle or knit one row, purl one row on circular needle
1. 2 (50g/202yd) sport weight yarn or yarn of your choice.
2. 1 ball of Sashay Ruffle yarn by Red Heart in your favorite color.
3. 16 inches circular needle # 6 US (4mm)
4. Crochet hook (you don’t need to know how to crochet, you’ll only use the hook to gather the ruffle yarn together. See example of how to work the ruffle yarn here.
5. Tapestry needle
6. 3/8 inch elastic waistband
7. sewing needle and thread to sew elastic band together
8. stitch marker