Blueberries are loaded with anti-oxidants and vitamins and not to mention the delicious part. Best part of this blueberry bran muffin recipe is that it has zero cholesterol because it doesn’t have any egg in it. I used whole soy flour as an egg substitute and replaced oil with milled flex seed. Do you know that 2 tbsp of flex seed meal contains 2600 mg of O-mega 3 fatty acid? That’s a lot of goody fatty acid!
Here is my Heart Healthy, Yummy Blueberry Bran Muffin Recipe. Enjoy!
This Blueberry bran muffin has a lot of heart healthy ingredients in it. I used stone-ground white whole wheat, stone-ground soy flour, milled flex seed and whole bran in this recipe. As we know, fibers in whole grains and bran helps improve digestive system and lower cholesterol. It has been proven to prevent colon cancer in human.
1. 1 1/2 cups whole bran
2. 1 cup + 2 tablespoons milk (nonfat or skim)
3. 1/2 cup applesauce
4. 1/4 cup milled flax seed
5. 2/3 cup brown sugar
6. 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
7. 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
8. 1/2 cup stone-ground white whole wheat pastry flour (use regular whole wheat as substitution)
9. 2 tablespoons soy flour
10. 1 teaspoon baking soda
11. 1 teaspoon baking powder
12. 1/4 teaspoon salt
13. 1/4 nutmeg
14. 1 cup blueberries
1. In a Medium bowl, mix together whole bran and milk, and let stand for 10 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
3. In a large bowl, mix together applesauce, milled flax seed, brown sugar, and vanilla. Gently fold in bran mixture.
4. Sift together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, soy flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Combine into bran mixture until just mixed. Fold in blueberries. Let stand for 5-10 more minutes if you want your muffin to be extra puffy.
5. Use ice cream scoop to scoop batter into a non stick muffin pan or pre-grease muffin liners. Make 12 muffins.
6. Bake in a middle rack of a preheated oven for 18 to 22 minutes or until the muffin spring back when gently press.
* * *I hope you enjoy the recipe. Let me know what you think. I found that I like the muffin even more on day 2! It seems to get moister by the day.