Search Below To Find Your Topic
There are so many kinds of hot chili sauces in Thailand. We love eating steamed and raw veggies with them. This ground beef chili is pretty easy to make so I make it many times. I love putting it on top of all sorts of vegetables and eat them together with steamed rice.
to download this recipe in a PDF format.
This ground beef chili recipe is one of my favorite that I often make at home here in America. I grew up eating a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables as my main diet. Every meal we had to have some kind of hot chili sauce to go with fresh and steamed vegetable and rice. Hope you'll give it a try.
1. ½ lb lean ground beef
2. 2 Tbs olive oil or canola oil
3. ½ onion, chopped
4. 2 cloves garlic, chopped
5. 2 Tbs Thai Red Curry Paste (available at most major grocery store in the US.)
6. 1 medium red tomato, chopped
7. ½ cup water
8. 1 Tbs black bean garlic sauce or any bean sauce
9. 1 Tbs fish sauce or ½ tsp salt if fish sauce is not available
10. A handful of chopped green onion (scallion) and cilantro
1. Brown ground beef in a deep bottom frying pan. Drain off fat and transfer to a bowl.
2. In the same pan, heat oil over medium heat, add onion and garlic. Stir for about 2 minutes.
3. Add beef, tomato, black bean sauce, fish sauce, and water.
4. Bring to a broil then reduce heat to low.
5. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or longer.
6. Add chopped green onion and cilantro just before serving.
Steamed mixed vegetables
I have no objection to any vegetable you choose. You can pick any vegetable you like to steam or even if you prefer them raw. I usually prefer mine like this:
* 2 medium slices of cabbage
* 1 head broccoli, section in to small pieces
* 2 carrots, peeled and cut in to 2 inch- pieces
* 10 fresh young okras
* 1 Zucchini, quartered
Other vegetables you can use are cauliflowers, yellow summer squash, Chinese kale, bok choy, ect. Cucumber is very good to eat with this chili too.
Steam all vegetable in a steamer according to your taste (well done or just done). Serve them with Nam Prik (ground beef chili) and cooked rice
Note: Thais eat with spoon and fork. We take a piece of vegetable to the rice bowl and top it with chili sauce. Scoop some rice, vegetable and chili sauce in a spoon and enjoy. Don't forget to have a glass of water or your favorite drink by your side to cool down the heat!
* * * End of Ground Beef Chili Recipe * * *