Search This Site
I often heard people said if you want to loose weight, eat a lot of cabbage soup. I suppose eating mainly cabbage of any other vegetable will surely make the weight goes down. I don't really need to loose weight but because I like the soup. Although, a few pounds lighter is a bonus!
This light, non creamy cabbage soup recipe with beef is great for any day. You can skip the meat if you don't want it. I made up my own recipe and you can to. That's what make it fun about cooking, you create your personal touch and make it your own.
Ingredients for cabbage soup
1. about a pound of lean beef steak cut in to small pieces. (omit beef if you don't want meat or use other meat to substitute for beef if you don't eat beef)
2. ½ head of cabbage slice or cut into bite size
3. 2-3 Tbs of veg oil
4. 2 cans (14 oz) diced tomato
5. 2 stalks of celery, chopped
6. 4 clove of garlic, chopped
7. 1 onion, chopped
8. 1 cup of chopped carrot
9. a little bit of chopped mushroom if you want
10. 2 cans (14 oz) of beef broth or your broth of choice
11. 2 bay leaves
12. Dashes of different dried herbs such as basil, oregano, parsley and thyme
13. Little bit of salt and pepper to taste
Direction for yummy cabbage soup
In a 6-8 quart dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat, add chopped onion, chopped garlic, chopped celery, chopped carrot (and mushroom if you want it) and saute the mixture over low heat until onion turns soft and everything smells wonderful. I don't really know how long I let it cooked because I was busying cutting the steak.
Add beef broth, dice tomato, cabbage, beef, herbs, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Add more water if needed just to cover the cabbage. Mix them up gently. Turn up the heat and bring it to a boil then cover the pot with a lit and let it simmering on a low heat for at lease 1 hour. Two for best result.
Adjust the taste the way you want it. I added just a dash of sugar and a bit of vinegar because my husband likes little bit of sour taste and I like little sweet. Anchalee, my younger twins wanted a little more salt and pepper on her, but Suwan, my older twin daughter didn't complaint. My whole family seemed to enjoy it a lot.
You can add a little hot chili too to make it hot. I always have to do that to everything because I just love hot food.
Hope I don't miss anything. Let me know if you have any question. Enjoy it.
* * * * End of Cabbage Soup with beef Recipe * * * *